Gas & Electricity
Energy and Electricity In Your Home
Once you accept your tenancy, you will need to contact the property’s energy supplier. If you wish to change energy supplier you will be responsible for arranging your own utilities connection.
You will need to take a reading of your current meters and pass this information on to the new suppliers. You will need to show a copy of your tenancy agreement that you signed at the office. You should allow seven working days for the supplies to be connected.
- Electricity supply enquiry: 0845 6000 102
- Scottish Power: 0845 270 3600
- British Gas: 0845 955 5510
- EDF Energy: 0800 096 9000
- Alliance Electricity & Gas: 0800 028 3028
Gas Safety in your Home
Cowley RMO aims to provide you with safe and reliable heating and hot water systems, completed via our contractor Smith & Byford Ltd.
Service appliances: (Residents)
By law we must check all our gas appliances and pipe work every year for leaks. Leaking gas appliances or pipes can cause explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. It is to ensure your safety that these gas checks are completed.
To do this, Our contractor Smith & Byford will contact you and arrange::
- Gas safe registered engineers who carry identification
- Convenient appointments, including evenings and weekends
- They will visit your property twice by appointment, to ensure the service is completed.
- Provide you with a copy of the gas safety record (CP12)
- Will make safe all heating related leaks within two hours
- Aim to repair gas central heating and water heaters within 24 hours between the months of November and April and within 3 days between May and October.
What if no access is provided?
- Smith & Byford will make two appointments to attempt to visit you, however if access is still not provided, your gas safety check will be placed in to ‘referred to council’ status.
- This status is the first step towards obtaining a court injunction to ensure access is provided.
- We will write to you requesting you make contact with the estate office within 14 days to arrange a suitable appointment.
- If no contact is received we will write to you again suggesting an appointment time and date.
- If no contact is still received we will write to confirm that if no appointment is arranged within 7 days, a court injunction will be sought.
- If no contact is still received we will make an application to the county court to obtain an injunction to complete the necessary checks. The injunction will allow us to force entry into your home and recharge you the cost of doing so.
No Heating or Hot Water? Or Worried About Gas In Your Home?
Should you experience problems with either your heating or hot water system or wish to arrange a gas safety check or appintment; Smith & Byford can be contacted 24/7 365 days a year on 0800 977 8607 or 0208 652 7048.